Dr. Clotet received his doctorate in Medicine from the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB) in 1981, with a thesis on autoimmune diseases. That same year, during his residency as a specialist in Internal Medicine at the University Hospital of Vall d'Hebron in Barcelona, he coincided with the first case of AIDS described in Spain.
This fact was the trigger to focus his career in this serious disease, becoming head of the HIV Unit of the Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol (1987-2015).
Shortly after he thought that it was necessary to go a step further and complement healthcare to patients with research to try to eradicate the disease. This is how he first created the Fight AIDS Foundation (1992) and then, with the support of Obra Social "la Caixa" and the Department of Health of the Generalitat of Catalonia, the Institute of AIDS Research IrsiCaixa (1995), that continues directing.
He is currently head of the Infectious Diseases Service of the Germans Trias i Pujol Hospital and since 2006 co-directs the HIVACAT project, the Catalan AIDS Vaccine Research Program. He is also a scientific advisor to Aelix Therapeutics and AlbaJuna Therapeutics, two spin-offs created from IrsiCaixa.
World benchmark and recognitions
The numerous advances achieved have placed Dr. Clotet as one of the world leaders in research against HIV. During more than 35 years of career he has published more than 800 articles in international scientific journals.
Member of institutions such as the Corporate Program of AIDS and Related Diseases of the Catalan Institute of Health or the Pierre Louis de épidémiologie et de Santé Publique of Paris, he has received multiple awards throughout his career such as the Sant Jordi Creu and the Josep Trueta Medal for Health Merit, awarded by the Generalitat de Catalunya, or the Prize for the Research Trajectory to the Hospitals of the Catalan Health Institute.
35 years of divulgation and training
Dr. Clotet has carried out his scientific career in parallel with his teaching and dissemination task, giving priority to the high quality training of his teams and the promotion of research vocation among the youth.
Associate professor at the UAB, he also directs the Chair of AIDS and Related Diseases (UVic) and co-directs, together with Josep Maria Gatell, the Educasida website.
He is a regular speaker at congresses and talks to the general public, and maintains a constant presence in media. One of his challenges is to eliminate the stigma of the disease, with the aim of improving the quality of life of infected people and obtaining resources for research.
Pation, commitment and culture
After his struggle to eradicate HIV, there is a man who loves his work, to which he dedicates himself body and soul. His team consists of more than 150 researchers working in the field of HIV, disorders of the immune system and related infectious diseases, cancer, papilloma virus, metagenomics, hepatitis and NASH, and aging.
Since childhood and for many years he played tennis. He is currently running regularly, and is facing all aspects of his life - including research - in the spirit of a "long distance runner".
One of his concerns is the search for new funding channels to accelerate research. The "Les nostres cançons" against AIDS concert, the "Gala Sida" or the People in Red party are examples of this.
Lover of classical music (Albéniz, Granados and Bach, among others), he feels a special predilection for jazz and for the interpreters of the "Nova cançó", such as Joan Manuel Serrat, Maria del Mar Bonet and Lluís Llach. However, the most important constant in his life is his family.
- Bachelor of Medicine (UAB, 1976); Doctor of Medicine (Incidence and clinical significance of anti-ENA antibodies in connective tissue diseases, 1981)
- Internal Medicine specialist
- Gastroenterologist and specialist in liver diseases
- Specialist in Infectious Diseases
- Chairman of the Fight Aids Foudation since 1992
- Director of the IrsiCaixa AIDS Research Institute since 1995
- Manager of the Infectious Diseases Service of the Germans Trias i Pujol Hospital since 2015 (between 1987 and 2015, responsible for the HIV Unit of the same hospital).
- Director of the Corporate Program of AIDS and Related Diseases of the Catalan Institute of Health (ICS) from 2014 to 2016.
- Chairman of the Subcommittee on Infectious Diseases of the CFTICS (Pharmacotherapeutic Commission of the ICS), between 2016 and 2017.
- Since 2017, Co-Coordinator of the HIV and Associated Health Care Program of ICS (PADEICS).
- Co-director of the HIVACAT AIDS Vaccine Research Program since 2006.
- Scientific advisor of Aelix Therapeutics, SL since 2015.
- Scientific Advisor of AlbaJuna Therapeutics, SL since 2016.
- Member of the international scientific advisory committee of the Institut Pierre Louis d'Épidémiologie et Santé Publique de Paris since 2015.
- Academic corresponding by election of the Royal Academy of Medicine of Catalonia since 2015.
- Member of the Biological Sciences section of the Institut d'Estudis Catalans since 2015.
- Member of CASOST (Advisory Council for Sustainability and Progress of the Health System) of the Generalitat de Catalunya between 2013 and 2015.
- Member of the steering committee of EuroSIDA between 1994 and 2010. The IrsiCaixa retrovirology laboratory is the benchmark in Europe in terms of HIV resistance.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the Fundación Príncep de Girona between 2009 and 2015.
- Member of the Drug Resistance Mutations Group (IAS-USA) for 10 years, until 2011, and member of the Governing Council of the IAS for 8 years, until 2010.
- Co-chair (together with Dr. Gatell and Dr. Brander) of the AIDS World Vaccine meeting, October 2013.
- Member of the expert commission for the Evaluation of Research Projects in the Spanish National Health Program and the National AIDS Plan.
- More than 800 papers in imternational journals
- Citations: >17.200
- Average Citations: 24,42
- H-index: 95
- Accumulative Impact Factor: >5.000
- Member of the editorial board of: AIDS Journal, HIV Medicine, Expert Review of Clinical Immunology, Future HIV Therapy and Journal of the International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care
- Reviewer for: AIDS, JAIDS, JID, Antiviral Therapy, HIV Medicine, CID, Lancet, Lancet Infectious Diseases and Drugs
- Associate Professor of Medicine at the Autonomous University of Barcelona since 1986.
- Director of the University Master in Pathogenesis and Treatment of AIDS (Gimbernat-UAB-IrsiCaixa) from 2011 to 2017.
- Director of the Chair of AIDS and Related Diseases of the University of Vic-Central University of Catalonia since 2013.
- Coordinator of the Educasida website since 2007.
Awards and acknowledgments
- Creu de Sant Jordi from the Generalitat de Catalunya (2016)
- Enposi+ivo social Award from Events&Help (2015)
- Prize for Concord and Human Rights of the Freedom Barcelona Awards (2014)
- Award to Professional Excellence of the Official College of Physicians of Barcelona (2013).
- Honorary Member of the Medicopharmaceutical Institute of Catalonia (2013).
- Doctor Honoris Causa of the Carol Davila University of Bucharest, Romania (2013).
- Josep Trueta Medal for Health Merit of the Generalitat of Catalonia (2012).
- Prize to the Scientific Trajectory to the Hospitals of the Catalan Institute of Health (2010).